The school was built in 1974, around the same time as the original Huyton Leisure Centre and whilst the exterior of the school is fairly similar to its original appearance, the interior of the school has been changed several times since its construction.
Blacklow Brow Primary School is named after Blacklow Hall, a manor house built C.1660 that was renowned for the stone lions outside of its front door. Sadly, the house became derelict in the 1960s and was demolished in 1963. Whilst Blacklow Brow School was not built on the immediate site of the hall, it was actually built on the grounds that would have been the Hall’s orchard. Rumour has it that underneath the grounds of the Hall there is a secret passage that leads to Huyton Church, an Anglo-Saxon church that was mentioned in the Domesday Book.
Blacklow Brow Primary School is situated on Tarbock Road, a road that appears on some of the earliest recorded maps of Huyton. The area surrounding Blacklow Brow School is still largely unchanged, other than the exception of two housing estates that date from the 1930s and 1990s. The grand houses that were occupied by Victorian and Georgian gentry still exist on Blacklow Brow and Tarbock Road, the local shops still have the stone fascias of their 1930s design and the Victorian smithy building is still present and in use!
The smithy has recently undegone some renovation work with modern windows and a roof being added – it still looks very authentic though!
The shops still look very similar today – they were erected in the 1930s
This is the hall believed to have the secret tunnels underneath – they reputedly run from the hall to the local church, St Michael’s